Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Why Nerds Are the Best Kind of Friends

I'm lucky enough that I have several nerds in my life. I love my nerds. They're there when I'm having computer troubles, they're there when I want to play video or board games, and they're there when I want to wax philosophic on the combative merits of aluminum baseball bats. I admire my sister a lot. She has the most comprehensive knowledge of all things nerdy of anyone I've ever met. She's an avid gamer, she has a truly impressive collection of dvds (the entire series of every Star Trek ever created, Quantum Leap, Battlestar Galactica, every Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, and every Rocky. And most of those are on bluray) as well as a massive collection of SciFi novels (Dune, Philip K Dick and Isaac Asimov) , and she can trivia your face off. It amazes me how so much knowledge of so many detailed universes can remain active and still have room for remembering the perfect pumpkin pie recipe.
Christmas time is a wonderful time for nerdy friends as well, because they are so friggin easy to shop for! I have to hold myself back, because with websites like Think Geek I could spend thousands and still have more gift ideas. Generally speaking, nerds will enjoy absolutely anything as long as it highlights one of their interests. Now that nerd culture has become welcomed into the mainstream, it's easier than ever to find the gift that will make your favourite nerd light up with joy. If you're not sure what gift to get for that tricky person on your list, think of what tickles their geeky fancy. When you think about it, everyone's a nerd for something. Some people get really nerdy about video games or Star Wars or Harry Potter, while others are nerdy about Glee, golfing, knitting, woodworking, baking - or even religion. When in doubt, there's probably a book they'd like.
Embrace your nerds - sit down with some cookies and ask them about the best way to seal off a house from a zombie invasion. It may save your life.

1 comment: